• Advertisement

  • Pee Wee Chiefs take a hit, Atoms pull off a win

    Week 2 wraps up for local teams

    CHESTERMERE – The Chestermere pee wee Chiefs battled hard but couldn’t overcome the push from the Airdrie Storm during their second game of the season on Sept. 6.
    Dylan Wood scored on a one-yard quarterback plunge behind the hard blocking of Ayla O’Brien and Carter Johnson, with James Borecki taking a handoff and scampering 65 yards to score the Chiefs final touchdown.
    “The kids played hard but turned the ball over three times inside the Storm 25-yard line,” said coach Kelsey Johnson. “Our offense drove the ball really well, but the turnovers cost us.”
    Johnson added, “We also had a 20 yard touchdown called back on a phantom holding call.”
    The coach said that they are looking forward to the opportunity of revenge in the rematch against the Storm on Oct. 4.
    The atom Chiefs had a little more success on the field, as on Sept. 11 they came out with a win over the Okotoks Eagles.
    “First offensive series we took a couple plays to get going, but on the third play running back Zack Lucey broke a tackle and ran the ball to the 5 yard line,” said coach Clinton Bean. “Unfortunately we were unable to punch the ball in and came up empty.”
    The Chiefs held their ground during the games’ first defensive series, until the third play where Eagles got outside and ran for a touchdown.
    Their second offensive series saw them move the ball, but they were unable to break the goal line. Bean said that offensive line started to come together and give the quarterback and running backs some time and room.
    In the second defensive series, the Chiefs d-line started to put more pressure on the o-line, led by Blaine O’Brien and Matt Bruce. However, Okotoks managed to break through their tough line to score another touchdown.
    “The third offensive series is where we came to life,” Bean said. “Back to back 45 yard touchdowns from running backs Zack Lucey and Angelina Palardy tied the game.”
The defense was able to hold the line for the rest of the quarter, so things remained tied at the half.
    After a good halftime break, the Chiefs were able to dominate the Eagles right off the hop as they were able to break free and score a third touchdown.
    The fourth offensive touch in three plays were able to once again drive the ball down to the five-yard line, and again wouldn’t be denied as Angelina Palardy broke three tackles to get into the end zone for the game tying touchdown.
    Bean said that during their fifth defensive series, d-linemen Ethan Mervold, Marcus Gutfriend, Evan Lloyd, and Madeline Birkinshaw started to catch on and really put pressure on their quarterback.
    “They broke through a couple times but safety Nathan Cayouette and linebacker Dylan Munro made touchdown saving tackles to end the series,” he said.
    In the fifth offensive series, Okotoks started to bring more pressure from their linebackers and corners, so the Chiefs took advantage of the open back field. Tanner Bean scrambled for a 45 yard touchdown to take the lead.
    The team broke through several offensive lines and caused several fumbles to maintain the lead for the rest of the game and ultimately come out with the win by a score of four touchdowns to three.