• Advertisement

  • Successful week for Pee Wee Chiefs

    The Pee Wee Chiefs faced off against the Golden Hawks on Friday Sept. 30, and came out with a 13-12 victory.

    CHESTERMERE – The Chestermere Chiefs Pee Wee squad dominated on the field this past week, leaving things on a high note as they head into the second half of the season.
    The team went up against the Stampeders on Sept. 26 at Shouldice Park, and the game got off to a running start as Chief Jaxson Karl scampered 35 yards for an opening drive touchdown.
    The Chiefs kept the momentum going, following the touchdown with a 50-yard run by Jerome Timbol. This set up a 10-yard pass reception to Graham Litwiller, followed by a 10-yard run by James Borecki for paydirt for a major score.
    The Chiefs continued with another strong drive, as Dylan Wood threw a 20-year pass to Owen O’Rielly. This set up Wood for a one-yard touchdown plunge behind Ayla O’Brien and Carter Johnson. Jaxson Karl followed with a one-point convert reception.
    Before the end of the second quarter, Jaxson Karl struck again, running 35 yards to the third-yard line. He finished it off with a three-yard touchdown run to put the Chiefs up 25-0 at the half.
    The game could have wrapped up in the third quarter, as Jerome Timbol went on a 60-yard run for the final points of the game, making the score 33-0 for the Chiefs.
    Coach Kelsey Johnson said that the Chief defense completely dominated the Stampeders, as did the offense in many ways.
    “The team fired on all cylinders and laid the ground work for the second half of the season,” he said. “We’ve secured a 2-2 record going forward.
    “It’s the important time of the year, so we’re on high note and are functioning as a well rounded disciplined team.”
    In their second game of the week, the Pee Wees met with the Golden Hawks on Sept. 30. The anticipated rematch saw dominance from the Chiefs offense in the first half.
    The first defensive play of the game resulted in a sack and fumble recovery for the Chiefs which led to a Dylan Wood touchdown plunge to go up 6 – 0.
    The next Golden Hawk offensive play resulted in a Chief sack and recovery of a fumble. Johnson said that the defense was ferocious, but unfortunately the next series saw the Hawks go for a 50-yard touchdown run. The Chiefs had some penalty trouble in the red zone in the late seconds of the first half which saw things end 6-6 at the half.
    In the second half, the Chiefs offense continued their dominance but were unable to score, until with 2 minutes left in the game, they took the ball at their own 40 yard line and would not be denied.
    Behind the powerful running of James Borecki and Jaxson Karl as well as the dominant push of the Chief’s massive offensive line, the Chiefs went up 13 – 12 with 1:14 left in the game.
    “The defense went to work with huge pressure, forcing the Golden Hawk quarterback to toss the ball away twice,” Johnson said. “One lead to yet another fumble recovery which confirmed a hard fought victory for the Chiefs, whose offense and defense where totally dominate.”