• Advertisement

    The kindness of ‘ordinary’ people makes Chestermere extraordinary

    On Tuesday, November 3rd, my husband went to the Bottle Depot with our recycling around 4:00 pm. As always, we take our furry little family members where ever we go. Mun and Millie are black Shi Chi’s, and at a year and a half are fully grown weighing 3 and 2 kg, respectively. Mun looks like a miniature Newfoundlander, and Millie with similar more delicate features.

    After dropping off the recycling, Orville realized that he forgot the tote, thankfully he hadn’t even left the parking lot. He backed the SUV up to the entrance of the depot and opened the hatch. Only ten steps away from the open door of the depot he motioned to the employee and pointed at the tote, she graciously acknowledged him with a nod and wave. He grabbed the tote and put it into the vehicle and headed towards the Marina and parked behind Tim Horton’s. He opened the rear driver’s door to leash Mun and Millie for their walk. Millie hopped down off of the seat, onto the rocker panel and was captured before she hit the ground. You are probably thinking that this isn’t a big deal, however, when you are smaller than a can of tomatoes, it is quite the feat! Millie was completely distressed; she always waits to be picked up to go in or out of the vehicle. Where was Mun? Panic set in as Orville realized that the Munster had escaped. He immediately headed back to the depot, a two minute drive that felt more like an hour.

    Along Marina Drive, workers were repairing the sidewalks and traffic was thankfully moving quite slow. Four workers on the construction crew saw this black fur-ball crossing the street and were trying to rescue him from harm.

    One can only imagine what thoughts were running through this little dogs head: “Where’s my dad? I know he’s around here somewhere. I’d better go find him”. Confused as to where he was, a feeling of panic must have overwhelmed him with the noise and traffic, not to mention being chased down by four huge vested orange giants, armed with flags and shovels!

    Orville raced to the construction area, eyes wide open looking for Mun. A worker recognized the fear in his eyes and panicked expression on his face, he then pointed in the direction of Mun who was crossing the street. As he parked the vehicle on the side of the road, he waved at the worker and said, “I’ve got it from here, thank you”.

    Mun ran around the parking lot in circles, not knowing where to go. He was relieved to hear the sound of his dad’s voice calling out to him and made his way over reluctantly, head down and tail between his legs. Relieved, Orville scooped him up and returned to the vehicle where Millie anxiously waited for her big brother.

    Unaware of the late afternoon’s events, I met Orville after work at the boat launch parking lot behind Tim Horton’s. Orville was so shaken up after he began to process what had just happened, he forgot to turn off the headlights and the battery was dead! Familiar with the great staff at Tim Horton’s, I approached Val and asked her if she could help me out with a boost. She didn’t have any cables so she asked staff and customers if any of them could assist us. Omran, an employee who wasn’t even working at the time offered to run home, only two minutes away to get some cables and help us. True to his word, he arrived back in less than five minutes and boosted us so we could be on our way. This all happened within 15 minutes, but seemed like an hour.

    When we arrived home Orville recounted the events of Mun’s escape and rescue. We were both emotional and so very grateful that no harm came to him. I hugged my little dog and I am so thankful to the construction crew on Marina Drive who were aware of Mun and the danger he was in. They took the time to slow down the traffic and tried to capture this frightened, lost and disorientated, little creature.

    I am so fortunate to know the great staff at Tim Horton’s, the people I work with and the many wonderful residents that we have met since moving to Chestermere a couple of months ago. I felt compelled to write this “happy ending” and to publically acknowledge all who helped our family. The outcome could have been much different if it weren’t for the men who were aware of and in control of their jobsite. A valuable life lesson awakened our awareness, one that we won’t ever forget.

    In this day and age crimes seem to get more attention in the news than good deeds that people do every day. It is ordinary people that make every day extraordinary. Chestermere is a truly caring community, full of spirit and humanity.

    Linda Jensen