Check out the Whitecapper advertisement in the Anchor and you will see a very comprehensive list of activities supported by our seniors’ community group. They also provide lunch and learns on a variety of interesting topics. The executive group is always looking for and implementing new programs that will be of interest to seniors. This group is a very strong advocate for the seniors in our community.
Along with advocating for seniors they provide a great place to gather and enjoy activities and spend time with friends and family.
A quick peak back in The Whitecappers history.
• In 1980 land held by the Chestermere Community Association was transferred to Rocky View County for $1.
• The Recreation Center is owned by RockyView County (RVC) and the Chestermere Regional Community Association (CRCA) leases the facility from them.
• In 1985 the White cappers were incorporated and began meeting in a designated room in the Recreation Center.
• In 1999 the Whitecappers had out grown the room and planned to build their own facility.
• In 1999 the Whitecappers decided to work with the Recreation Expansion Project team to build a facility within the Recreation Center.
• The Whitecappers contributed to the building funds they had created to develop a designated room within the Recreation Center .
• The Whitecappers investments were:
• $200,000 for lease hold improvements for a senior facility.
• $150,000 to the recreation building fund.
• 2007 the Whitecappers signed the existing sublease agreement.
Some of the current Whitecappers sublease terms.
• 10 year lease with an additional 10 years.
• Rent of $1,055 to be paid monthly.
• Whitecappers will pay their fair share of operating costs.
• Rent was reviewed and adjusted annually if required.
• Rent was paid for 10 years without being contested or adjusted.
• October 2017 the Whitecappers requested to extent their lease for 10 years.
Current sub-lease terms presented.
• Currently the two parties have not been able to reach an agreement.
• January 2018 four options were presented by the CRCA to the Whitecappers:
1. Increase rent to $2,000 / month.
2. Increase rent to $1,265 / month and Whitecappers must buy a CRCA annual membership.
3. Increase rent based on Statcan inflation rates and allow CRCA to rent out the Whitecapper facility.
4. Vacate the premises
• All options include a 60 day notice at anytime without cause.
The Whitecappers’ Center may be forced to relocated shortly. Lets negotiate fairly, respectively and show support for the seniors in our community.
Letters to the Editor Policy:
Letters to the Editor must be signed with and address and phone number for validation, should be restricted to a 500 word maximum and may be edited for content. The views voiced in the letters to the editor are not necessarily shared by the Chestermere Anchor or its publishers. The words are those of the author, and the opinions stated are the opinion of the author of the letter.
Not all letters will be printed, and the Chestermere Anchor City News reserves the right to edit letters for length, grammar and punctuation. We also reserve the right to halt a topic after it has run its effective or logical duration
Send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org