The key message and the greatest benefits of community golf course are the Social, Health and Environmental impact on the community.
Community golf courses are designed with inclusion in mind and are perfect for including members of the entire family, from the young junior golfer to the retired family members, both ladies and gentlemen. They are first and foremost community centered, eco friendly, and provide many environmental enhancement and enjoyment.
The key focus and greatest benefits of community golf are their Social, Health and Environmental impacts on the community.
Golf teaches essential life skills and sportsmanship to all who play the game; such as respect, integrity, honesty and self-control. Golf provides the opportunity to meet new people, increase social interaction and learn essential life skills. This is ideal and beneficial to all families within the communities and the growth experience of our youth.
Keys Points for Future Success of Lakeside Golf Course – Owner/ Management “To Do’s”
- Avoiding unnecessary conﬂicts with the City of Chestermere and the valued communities by ensuring they are well informed about Lakeside management goals and activities. How can we work together to further enhance the Chestermere and Lakeside Golf experience?
- Communicating how you are striving to be a responsible and sustainable land user
- Demonstrating an awareness of the issues surrounding pesticides, fertilizer, water, energy and waste and the measures being taken to address any concerns of the City
- Promoting the less appreciated beneﬁts of living close to a golf course, such as increasing property values, and any contribution to ﬂood defences, prevention of soil erosion, cleaner air, carbon sequestration, ambient temperature control and enhancement of wildlife, environment improvement and potential issues
- Involving the City of Chestermere and associated communities whenever possible. Consulting with them on future upgrades or new capital projects and any other programs that might prove contentious. Improved clubhouse or additions, training rooms, exercise facilities, outdoor features.
- Continually working with the City of Chestermere and communities on environmental concerns associated with water control, pond repair, upgrading and maintenance projects.
- Seeking to offer expanded employment opportunities to local people
- Engaging volunteers from the local communities, local businesses and coordinated input with the City of Chestermere for an ongoing habitat restoration through out the golf course.
- Landscaping improvements throughout the golf course to involve trees, bushes, flower beds new sand in the bunkers with an annual review on contents.
- Become an integral employer and educator in the City of Chestermere and communities. Golf facilities incorporate a massive range of disciplines, such as business management, nature conservation, land management, machinery upkeep, and many seeking learning (of all ages) can beneﬁt from your experience. Forge relations with local education providers to reduce the logistical burden such as role playing using local businesses where possible to source services and materials.
- Providing recreational green space for a range of public activities that can attract the non-golﬁng community, for example walking, jogging, and cycling.
- Ensuring that all your staff are fully aware of your commitment to sustainability so they may become good ambassadors for your business (Lakeside Golf Course).
- Ensure the golfing experience at Lakeside is reflective of the green fees and services charged.
- Promote organized activities and special events such as weddings, family reunions, community events, specialized group events, company events, and promote families in a group setting or even outdoors shows.
- Maintain the restaurant and meeting rooms so they are open year-round, another great venue for the family and groups.
- Reacting quickly and positively to issues such as balls being hit into neighbouring properties
- Communicate how you are addressing the noise from machinery operation at inappropriate hours of the day, and how it may affect the homes or businesses along the golf course
Golf has been providing environmental and social value… protection of water sources, urban green space, air and water quality, employment, and a healthy, inter-generational sport set in an ecological-rich living landscape for many years.
As sustainability concerns and expectations rise across all aspects of life, the golf community is well positioned to contribute more, for the welfare of the environment, neighbourhoods, and local businesses.
Golf can be a leader in sustainable sport and business, universally valued for its positive role on environment initiatives and people living in the community.
There are companies which are designed to assess, evaluate then assist golf courses in becoming self sustaining, dare we say profitable and become an integral part to any community or municipality. This would be a valuable resource for the new ownership group to consult with during the up-grading of Lakeside Golf Course.